Animal License Overview
Animal Control Bylaw #01-2017 requires that every owner of a cat or dog within the Town of Legal license their animal.
What You Need to Know
- Animal licences need to be purchased and renewed on an annual basis. Payment is due by February 15 each year.
- A 20 percent penalty is applied to all animal licenses after February 15.
- The Owner of a cat or dog must license their animal with the Town within 15 days of becoming the said Owner.
- Animal licenses cannot be transferred from one animal or owner to another.
- Animal tags issued by the Town must be securely fastened to the animal's collar.
- Section 5.0 of the bylaw addresses Vicious Dog and Guard Dog regulations.
- Fines may be issued for one's failure to comply with the Animal Control Bylaw.
- An animal licence is a unique ID that tells us your pet belongs to you. It allows us to reunite the two of you more quickly if your pet ever gets lost or displaced in an emergency.
- Licensing helps control the domestic animal population.
To register your animal, please complete the application form listed below and return it to the Town Office
Completed form(s) must be delivered to the Town Office by:
- Email to email@example.com
- Fax to 780-961-4133
- Deliver to the Town Office at 5021-50 Street
|Yearly license for each neutered or spayed Dog or Cat
|Yearly license for each unaltered Dog or Cat
|Animal license purchased after February 15 annually (late fee for re-registering of Dog or Cat)
|Animal license purchased between October 1 and December 31 for each neutered or spayed Dog or Cat
|Animal license purchased between October 1 and December 31 for each unaltered Dog or Cat
|Yearly Vicious Dog license
|Yearly license for a Service Dog
|Tag replacement for Dog or Cat
All applications must be accompanied by the appropriate registration fees. Payment must be made in person at the Town Office. Payment is accepted in the form of cash, cheque, or Interac.
There are many benefits to obtaining an animal license:
- It is the law.
- License fees provide important funding to help with the cost of operating the Protective Services department (Bylaw Enforcement, Peace Officer Service and animal control).
- Help you get reunited with your animal if it runs away or you get separated during a disaster or emergency.
- Keeps your animal out of shelters.
- Ensures your animal vaccinations are up-to-date which stops the spread of disease like rabies.
Pet Waste Stations
Did you know the Town of Legal has installed Pet Waste Stations along the walking trails that run through town.
Please be sure to use these when taking your pets for walks. Help keep our Community clean!