Let's talk about Sheds!
If you are thinking of putting up, or replacing a shed, keep the following in mind:
Sheds with a floor area of under 10.0 sq.m (107.6 sq ft), and not on a permanent foundation, do not require a permit.
Make sure you are familiar with the full guidelines set out in the Town of Legal's Land Use Bylaw 05-2013. Section 8.1 for Accessory Buildings in Residential Districts.
Points to note:
- A shed is considered an accessory building.
- Where a building is attached to the main building on a site by its roof, an open or enclosed structure, a floor or a foundation, it is considered to be a part of the main building.
- an accessory building shall not exceed one storey nor 6.10 m (20 ft.) in height with maximum height of vertical walls not exceeding 4.27 m (14 ft.). If vertical walls exceed 3.05 m (10 ft.), then a 0.61 m (2 ft.) overhang is required;
- accessory buildings shall not be located:
- within 2.0 m (6.56 ft.) of a dwelling;
- within a front yard or within a side yard adjacent to a road (For corner lots, please check specifics of the land use bylaw or contact the office, as there are exceptions)
- within 1.0 m (3.3 ft.) of a side line or rear line,
- over a gas utility line
- no roof overhang shall be within 0.3 m (0.98 ft.) of the side and rear lines.
- On corner lots, accessory buildings shall be situated so that the side yard which abuts the road is not less than the minimum side yard requirement for the main building or use.
- All accessory buildings shall be constructed of materials that blend harmoniously with the main building on the lot.
Portable Tented Structures
A development permit is required for any portable tented structure. The permit will be for a temporary period not exceeding three (3) years.