Time to put up a Fence?
Fence, wall or hedge in any Residential District can not be
- Higher than 2.0 m (6.56 ft.) in side yards and rear yards, such height to be measured as the average elevation from the ground at the fence or wall unless otherwise provided in this Bylaw; or
- Higher than 1.0 m (3.3 ft.) in front yards, except in the case of a corner lot, the side yard adjacent to the road shall be deemed to be a front yard for the purpose of this subsection (see figure 21); or
- Higher than 1.0 m (3.3 ft.) within 6.0 m (19.7 ft.) of the intersection of roads, (see figure 21).
- Higher than 1.0 m (3.3 ft.) within 4.5 m (14.8 ft.) of the intersection of lanes and lands with roads (see figure below)
- All apartment or row housing developments shall provide, to the satisfaction of the Development Authority, a wall, hedge or wooden fence of not less than 1.2 m (3.9 ft.) nor more than 2.1 m (7.0 ft.) in height, along any side or rear lines adjacent to any residential district.
- All drive-in businesses, car washing establishments, service stations and gas bars adjacent to any Residential District shall provide and maintain, to the satisfaction of the Development Officer, a solid wall or fence of not less than 1.5 m (4.9 ft.) nor more than 2.1 m (7.0 ft.) in height.
- All other commercial or industrial uses adjacent to any Residential District shall provide, to the satisfaction of the Development Authority, a wall or fence of not less than 1.8 m (6.0 ft.) in height for screening. In addition, garbage containers and outdoor storage shall be screened to the satisfaction of the Development Authority.
- Notwithstanding any other provision in this Bylaw to the contrary, the height of a fence or wall in a Commercial or Industrial District may be up to 2.5 m (8.2 ft.) in height, provided, however, that no barbed wire shall be used above the height of 1.8 m (6.0 ft.).
- The height of a fence in an Industrial District or in an Urban Reserve District shall be as determined by the Development Authority.
- The Development Authority may require that any fence or wall in any Commercial or Industrial District or related to an apartment or row housing development, including those indicated in Subsections (3) to (6), inclusive, above, be opaque.
- Neither razor wire nor barbed wire shall be allowed within Residential Districts.
- Razor wire shall not be used in the municipality without a development permit having been issued to allow its use.
- Barbed wire shall be used as a fencing material only if a development permit has been issued to allow its use.
For more detailed information, please check the Town of Legal's Land Use Bylaw