The Municipal Government Act (MGA) and the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) defines and governs local municipal elections. Municipal elections take place every four (4) years unless otherwise posted. The next municipal election is 2021.
The Town has five (5) elected officials. Each year during the Organizational meeting the Mayor and Deputy Mayor are appointed.
If you are interested in running for office you can prepare yourself by:
- Read and review legislation in the MGA. This will help you understand your future role and powers of authority.
- Ask the current Mayor and Council about their experience as an elected official.
- Attend the Town’s council meetings as an observer.
- Learn about the Town's strategic priorities.
- Review the municipal election package.
- Familiarize yourself with plans and policies approved by the Town.
- Take a course offered through the Elected Officials Education Program